From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Herds, Teams and Projects
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 17:16:40
1 On Thursday 27 April 2006 09:22, Kevin F. Quinn (Gentoo) wrote:
2 > On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:29:32 -0400
3 >
4 > Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o> wrote:
5 > > To that end, it's been brought up that perhaps the metadata.xml files
6 > > are partly to blame, in that they imply that the package is maintained
7 > > by a herd. There is not maintainer-team listed, just a herd.
8 > >
9 > > So, I would like to propose that we make this distinction clearer in
10 > > the metadata.xml files. I'm interested in thoughts that people have
11 > > on this, but please do cc: me in your response to be assured that I
12 > > read it.
13 >
14 > I must admit I've assumed that the herd entry in metadata.xml is a
15 > reasonable fall-back if the maintainer entry is missing or the listed
16 > maintainer is away/not responding. This is implied by
17 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/metastructure/herds/index.xml which
18 > requires <herd> but not <maintainer> - also the description of
19 > <maintainer> says "Besides being a member of a herd, a package can also
20 > be maintained directly" which implies the herd is the default maintainer
21 > if maintainer is not present.
22
23 The package is a member of the herd, not the maintainer. It means that the
24 herd maintainers are the default maintainers of a package.
27 > The herds project description says, "The herds project aims to ensure
28 > that the growing number of ebuilds do not overwelm (sic) the gentoo
29 > project. To this end the herds project aims for the development of
30 > infrastructure that will help manage the collection of ebuilds". This
31 > clearly indicates herds are supposed to have a maintainer role.
32
33 You read it wrong (I wrote that text, so I should know). The idea is to have a
34 group of people that manages (a group|groups) of packages. A group of
35 packages is a herd. A group of people is a project or a team (an informal
36 project).
39 > A quick scan of the tree shows that some 6k+ packages have no
40 > maintainer entry.
41 >
42 > It would be useful to know how many people think herds are not
43 > maintainers - if only a few people think this then I suggest it would
44 > be better to accept the common interpretation of herd as a group of
45 > people who can maintain a package.
46
47 The thing is, in most cases it doesn't really matter. But a herd is a group of
48 packages.
49
50 Paul
53 Paul de Vrieze