From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] future restrictions to DISTDIR access from the ebuild env
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:08:00
1 On Thursday 25 August 2005 00:43, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > Hola all.
3 >
4 > robbat2 made the suggestion, and after a bit of playing I think it's
5 > best- in short, to support multiple DISTDIR's, we need either
6 > intelligent querying of portage from bash side as to a files true
7 > location, or a directory full of symlinks pointing at the ebuild's
8 > stated files.
9 >
10 > Latter is easiest imo, and a bit cleaner for a dev to be able to look
11 > at it and see why things are breaking; upshot, adding this indirection
12 > allows portage (with sane fetcher(s)) to do N DISTDIR, and it also
13 > causes any ebuild that has unstated SRC_URI deps to bail.
14 >
15 > The forced bail pretty much makes it so that an ebuild dev can't
16 > easily screw up, they hit the unpack failure rather then a commit and
17 > a user hitting it.
18 >
19 > If you've got issues with it, give a yell; just added this in the
20 > rewrite.
21
22 Why not create that directory in the /var/tmp/portage/package/ directory.
23 It would also safeguard against packages using files that they did not
24 request. Maybe in the future a similar thing could be done for patches
25 (when ebuilds finally get to specify which files from the files dir they
26 use)
27
28 Paul
31 Paul de Vrieze