From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: robbat2@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving OpenRC to a meson-based build
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2017 15:39:44
1 On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 01:37:04AM +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 02:04:06PM -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > As I said on the bug, the downside is the addition of py3 and ninja as
4 > > build time dependencies, but I think the upside (a build system where
5 > > we don't have to worry about parallel make issues or portability)
6 > > outweighs that.
7 > Could you please link or otherwise explain the portability issue?
8
9 I'm not talking about a specific instance, just the flexability you get
10 with a build system. You let it handle the details of building
11 executables, linking libraries, etc.
12
13 I have heard from more than one person that the OpenRC makefiles are
14 not written well, and I agree, so I've been looking for a build system
15 for a while.
16
17 I thought about autotools. I'm not really fond of its syntax, and I've
18 been told that, to use autotools correctly, I would need to start
19 generating manual release tarballs again because I would need to put the
20 autotools generated cruft in them.
21
22 I'm open to suggestions. I picked meson to experiment with because it
23 has a very nice clean syntax.
24
25 William