From: kuzetsa <kuzetsa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 15:53:11
1 On 01/10/2018 09:55 AM, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
2 > On 10/01/18 08:55, Lars Wendler wrote:
3 >> Seems we're turning into an elitist club or something...
4 > Gentoo has already had the reputation of being an elitist club for
5 > years. As such I'd like to see steps to remedy this status, rather than
6 > taking steps like this, which just exacerbates the unfortunate status.
7
8 Definitions matter:
9
10 An impressive skillset could be called elite.
11
12 One form could be an elected set of people who have
13 veto power for decisions about the gentoo project.
14
15 Another definition could focus on social standing,
16 influence, the ability to control peers and apply
17 pressure to defend one's status. This is not often
18 welcoming to outsiders with differing viewpoints.
19
20 Many aspects of gentoo development can be called
21 elite. The 3rd definition is the one which I'm
22 least comfortable with. Elaboration follows:
23
24 If the merits of organizational and technical goals
25 are the only definitions used, there is no reason
26 for the elitism to be feared. Competency is not a
27 problem.
28
29 Perhaps this is a discussion more suited to the
30 gentoo-project mailing list. It's taking a turn
31 away from development concerns again. That's part
32 of the point for this new posting restriction.
33
34 On-topic subject matter can be relayed, and/or
35 persons prone to development concerns are still
36 able to be whitelisted. I see no problem here.