From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changes made by acct-* ebuilds
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 17:17:56
1 On Fri, 2020-02-14 at 18:09 +0100, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2 > On 2020-02-14 16:38, Mike Gilbert wrote:
3 > > Could you just explain please? I’m not inclined to read through the
4 > > handbook and rebuild a system to guess what this horrible breakage might
5 > > be.
6 >
7 > My point is, that even the handbook tells user to modify groups. I.e.
8 > you should add your user to group X for being able to do Y...
9 >
10 > That's OK. That's normal.
11 >
12 > But if everything in Gentoo has migrated to acct-* stuff, these changes
13 > will get reverted once the user will re-emerge world including acct-*
14 > package or such a package will get updated for some reason.
15
16 Why would that happen? We don't have acct-user/youruser.
17
18 > This is unexpected. Also, I hope nobody expects that every user using
19 > sudo for example needs to maintain an own acct-*/sudo fork in his/her
20 > overlay in future just because in Gentoo, you cannot use normal Linux
21 > tools like usermod anymore because your changes might get resetted
22 > during some upgrade.
23
24 Nope, this isn't true. You're getting things the other way around.
25
26 > That's what currently might happen with the current implementation which
27 > tries to keep user/group state like described in package. Something you
28 > will only see in Gentoo and no other distribution.
29
30 Have you really verified your claims? Because I really start feeling
31 like you've voted for the GLEP without reading it, and then started
32 recruiting people to change it based on guesses, still without reading
33 it or understanding the implementation.
36 Best regards,
37 Michał Górny