From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins.daniel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 10:31:48
1 On 3/3/07, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Why does it matter whether it's written by Gentoo developers? What
3 > matters is that it's written by people who know what they're talking
4 > about and who can write reasonably decent technical material, and as the
5 > primary author of the devmanual, a whole load of ebuilds, several
6 > eclasses and of the only fully independent reimplementation of ebuild
7 > (Pkgcore is in parts based upon Portage code -- whether or not this is
8 > a good thing is irrelevant to this discussion), I'd say I qualify in
9 > that area...
10
11 Well, you were kicked from this project, and those who kicked you
12 shouldn't be allowed to have their cake and eat it too. If you were
13 kicked because you were deemed to be "bad" for Gentoo development,
14 then presumably those reasons still apply and you shouldn't be allowed
15 to participate in Gentoo development currently as you have been.
16
17 If those reasons no longer apply, then your developer status should be
18 handed back. You can't "sorta" participate - you're either in or
19 you're not, and it looks like you're in. Right now it seems like you
20 are fully engaged as a developer in an official Gentoo project.
21
22 So I think some people should decide whether removing you from Gentoo
23 development was the correct decision and should be enforced or was a
24 mistake and should be corrected.
25
26 Presumably, you were kicked for non-technical reasons.
27
28 I'd just like the council/devrel to take a position one way or the other.
29
30 I'm not trying to get you kicked as much as I'm trying to determine
31 whether there are still clearly-defined rules for Gentoo development
32 that are enforced in any meaningful or consistent way.
33
34 -Daniel
35 --
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list