From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Local USE defaults
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:57:48
1 On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 12:10:44AM -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Brian Harring wrote:
3 > | Yeah, but the angle I'm pushing for default IUSE's ...er.. use is
4 > | eliminating no* flags, and giving ebuild maintainers more flexibility
5 > | in breaking the package down into conditionals.
6 > |
7 > | I really don't see -* being all that useful long term frankly, since
8 > | the major usage of it I've seen is either within cascaded profiles, or
9 > | nuking autouse; people do block profile use flags also, but killing
10 > | autouse falls in with killing profiles :)
11 >
12 > I don't think that having -* not actually do -* is a good idea. And most
13 > people adding local flags don't really consider the -* case so creating
14 > no* flags isn't a major concern.
15 >
16 > ~From my POV, -* is expected to not work well, but it should do what it
17 > suggests: subtract everything.
18 Meh.
19 -* 's meaning right now is to nuke all USE flags that portage tries to
20 'help' in adding. Having it nuke all default use seems wrong, since
21 people *currently* use -* to block autouse crap, and -* isn't what
22 they signed up for initially.
23
24 Different flag imo seems wise, rather then grandfathering people into
25 it; nuking what the profile offers should be available, but I don't
26 think nuking default IUSE should be nuked as an added bonus of trying
27 to disable auto-use/profile cruft.
28
29 Thoughts?
30 ~harring