From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev and /usr
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 23:20:09

From: Kay Sievers writes:
> What's not needed today is stuff in /. We can think of /usr a /System. > The entire system is installed in one single directory, and that can > be mounted r/o, or even shared between many hosts/guest. The stuff on > the rootfs is always host-only then.
It is from this that I derive the concept of a few folks wanting everything in /usr, as-if to brand /usr the new / (where the 'old' / has just directory stubs and a few symlinks, maybe some minor bits in /etc). That's also where my Mac comment stems from, in that /System hides most of the details of the BSD-nature of MacOS X, and tries to dissuade the user from ever having to go in there. Host-specific / and host-independent /usr is not itself a bad idea. I can envision quite a few useful scenarios for this. But on a single box, why? And for those of us with differing architectures, how would this add any benefit? Is this more of a detail for future RHEL releases (since Fedora is a type of proving ground for RH) so that sysadmins have an easier time managing them? Nothing wrong with it, but it needs to be a configurable choice by the end-user. I'll admit I may not be as informed as I oughta to be, but what I have read indicates that some people think this is the direction to go in, for various reasons. -- Joshua Kinard Gentoo/MIPS kumba@g.o 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between." --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] udev and /usr Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-dev] udev and /usr Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>