From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: eselect init
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 11:26:18
1 On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 7:13 AM, Michael Weber <xmw@g.o> wrote:
2 > === kexec ===
3 > speaking of panic. I've never actually used it, but newer kernels
4 > support kexec and in conjunction with pre-loaded panic-images[1] and
5 > corresponding (compiled-in) initramfs, it'd be possible to have an
6 > recovery shell. for either /sbin/init mixups, or late runtime crashes.
7 > These should have a the decency to respect the panic= timeout to allow
8 > automated reboots or idle till to the end of days.
9
10 I wrote up the wiki guide on this, but for the last six months I
11 haven't been able to get it to work. If somebody does have it working
12 please see if the guide needs updating - something seems to have
13 changed.
14
15 It is annoying because my system seems to freeze up on rare occasion
16 and I'm sure there is a panic/etc on the console obscured by X11. At
17 the moment, however, some kind of xorg freezeup seems to be what is
18 driving me crazy (seems like a driver puts it into a loop and makes it
19 freeze for 30s at a time, with even alt-sysrq-r not always working.
20 Moving both kernel and xorg from stable to ~arch didn't help with that
21 either... Ugh.
22
23 Rich