From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage in Embedded Systems?
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 14:07:29
1 On Tuesday 05 October 2004 18:27, Nicholas Jones wrote:
2 > >> Maybe I've just not seen this, but what sort of footprint does
3 > >> portage leave on embedded systems with low cpu/ram?
4 >
5 > Python is pretty heavy itself and with the caching portage is
6 > doing, it's a lot for a short-reseourced machine. My P100 with
7 > 74M ram handles it ok though. It can use upwards of 60M of ram.
8 >
9 > It's starting to get hacked up. Hopefully we'll have it quite
10 > a bit more tightened up inside the next couple months.
11 >
12 > > I believe the best approach is to extend catalyst into building
13 > > stripped-down images, while still maintaining a separate development
14 > > environment.
15 >
16 > That would be my recommendation. Using ROOT from an alternate
17 > system. I'm pretty sure how most of that is done right now.
18
19 The big issue is crosscompiling. As we will need to get part of that going for
20 multilib systems we might be getting somewhere soon.
21
22 Paul
25 Paul de Vrieze
26 Gentoo Developer