From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New QA policy: Packages must not disable installing manpages via USE flags
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 08:15:35
1 On Thu, 25 Jul 2019 00:10:49 -0400
2 desultory <desultory@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > The user-side effects pf the proposal in question, were it to become
5 > policy, would be that anyone seeking to not install what is presently
6 > optional documentation would either be:
7 > (1) wasting build time and space (and, depending on implementation,
8 > dependencies) on their build system (potentially masking the files from
9 > being installed);
10 > (2) wasting the space in their installed image(s) (if they did not mask
11 > the files which would not currently be installed anyway); or
12 > (3) wasting their own time working around what the developers would be
13 > required by policy to implement by repackaging the software themselves
14 > to avoid the time and space drawbacks (though this would generally be
15 > expected to be a rather exceptional case, as it would be relatively
16 > extreme to avoid what would be a distfile and some file masking from the
17 > user side).
18
19 Those concerns as per current policy is unrelated to the
20 dependency-control-of-USE issue presented here.
21
22 Its already established not to use a USE flag to toggle building of man
23 pages if it doesn't require additional dependencies.
24
25 These are _man_ pages we're talking about, not general purpose
26 documentation.
27
28 End users who don't like man pages are encouraged to use the relevant
29 FEATURES to strip them from the installed image, or use INSTALL_MASK or
30 something. ( FEATURES=noman )
31
32 The GOAL here is to provide man pages in *all* circumstances, and, if
33 additional dependencies are required to build them, to ALWAYS install
34 them, or NEVER install them, and then, find a secondary way to obtain
35 man pages (prebuilt)
36
37 The Total Cost of man pages as pure files on the target system is tiny,
38 and has practically no risk with regards to complexity.
39
40 But the cost of *dependencies* has risk, and can inflate to complexity,
41 causing much more real problems for more users than a few kb of .1.bz2
42 files.
43
44 Hence, why we gate them with USE flags: Because it provides an out for
45 that complexity ( at the cost of giving a different kind of complexity,
46 and a reduction in utility if somebody has to opt-out to get around
47 that initial complexity )
48
49 And hence why the counter-proposal to USE flags to solve that
50 complexity a different way is "prebuild them yourself and ship
51 them" ( as that eliminates all the dependency complexity and USE flag
52 complexity user side, while also giving them the man pages -> Quality )
53
54 Just the current mechanisms for this counter-proposal shift that
55 inescapable complexity to a place where it becomes harder to manage in
56 a standardized way.
57
58 And I don't think shifting this complexity to maintainers is the right
59 step, even though I want the same deliverables.
60
61 That's why I'd rather a way to shift this complexity to a build
62 service, ... albeit, it introduces some complexity of its own with the
63 building and distribution of these man pages.
64
65 Complexity is a pain-in-the-ass, you can't get rid of it, only shift it
66 around till it stops hurting.
67
68 However, all that said, If we're going to shoot some kind of
69 documentation in the face for the pain its dependency-complexity
70 introduces, let it be "info".
71
72 - Far fewer people enjoy or can actually get useful information out of
73 info pages
74 - Its build tooling frequently has dizzying problems in dependency
75 complexity and fragility, frequently made worse by portage getting
76 build ordering wrong after perl upgrades.[1]
77
78 (Hopefully we've fixed the worst of that, but this is plutonium, a gift
79 that keeps giving cancer)
80
81 1: https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=texinfo