From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 01:17:42
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 7:07 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 7:51 PM, Richard Yao <ryao@×××××××××××××.edu> wrote: >> >> I proposed a way that this could work with no effort on the part of the >> Gentoo developers in one of my earlier emails: >> > > Then go ahead and make it happen.  If as you say no dev participation > is needed there is nothing Gentoo needs to do to support this. > > On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote: >> >> We aren't Debian here people, we don't support "everything" :) >> >> If you want to support both, great, feel free to step up and do the >> work. >> > > Gentoo is about choice, but it is largely about the choices that > people are willing to step up and maintain. > > A few months ago there was a big thread and lots of devs said that > systemd isn't supported on Gentoo.  Some devs stepped up and decided > to maintain it and now I'd say systemd is about as supported on Gentoo > as Prefix, FreeBSD, Sparc, or MIPS.  That didn't happen because of > mailing list persuasion - it happened because a few people interested > in making it happen wrote a bunch of ebuilds.  How do systemd units > end up in various packages?  The people interested in seeing them > write good-quality patches and submit bugs, or otherwise work with the > maintainers to commit them. > > For those who don't like the current direction, by all means create an > overlay called udev-root, mdev-boot, noinitramfs, or whatever.  You > don't need anybody's permission to do it - just go on github and make > it happen.  Write some good code.  There are several devs here who > might even help you out with it, and nobody here is going to object to > packages going into the main tree as long as they're maintained in > accordance with Gentoo QA.  Create some USE flags where you need > tie-ins to other system packages and as long as everything behaves > nicely and patches are good and maintained, I'm sure the package > maintainers will accept them.
In that vein... just to let you guys know that I have set up an overlay that has allowed me to run my Gentoo machines with only systemd: no OpenRC, no baselayout, no sysvinit: The changes are rather minimal (less than ten lines (usually a cople) per ebuild changed from the original ebuilds in the tree), and almost all will go away when the following bugs get fixed: Bug 373219 is specially problematic, since several scripts in packages on the tree source /etc/init.d/, (which lives in OpenRC), and don't depend on OpenRC explicitly. I wrote a little script that replaces the einfo, ewarn, etc. functions of OpenRC, and it seems to be working. I also wrote alternative versions of the packages on the tree that implicitly depend on OpenRC, so they now explicitly depend on a little package that only installs my script. It seems to be working. If you guys want to try it, I would love to hear some comments about it. (Usual disclaimer; if it breaks, you get to keep all the pieces). Oh, and obviously the only supported setups are those with /usr in the same partition as /; or, if /usr is in a separated partition, systems that use an initramfs to mount it. Regards. -- Canek Peláez Valdés Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem! "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>