From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Fwd: [gentoo-automated-testing] BROKEN: repository became broken!]
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 19:30:47
1 On 03 Feb 2016 22:35, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Am Dienstag, 2. Februar 2016, 02:33:30 schrieb Mike Frysinger:
3 > > > I took the liberty of doing (2) and reverted the commit. Not sure why
4 > > > this needs so much discussion; after all a broken tree is always
5 > > > suboptimal.
6 > >
7 > > unless things are on fire (which i don't think this was), i don't
8 > > generally clamor for 0-day fixes. if we can find a better fix in
9 > > a day or so, then i'm happy for that. i dislike repos with history
10 > > that is just a constant stream of land, revert, land, revert, land.
11 > >
12 > > not that i'm saying your revert was wrong ... just airing my
13 > > general personal preferences.
14 >
15 > You're right of course... but there's one thing we have to keep in mind.
16 >
17 > We're not running a project were releases are made from the vcs. The vcs *is*
18 > the release... and whatever is out there gets pushed to users.
19 >
20 > This is why my personal preference is more to revert if I'm not sure that the
21 > fix will happen soon.
22
23 which is why you weigh the impact on users. how many people are actually
24 affected and for how long ? in this case, fairly sure no actual user saw
25 the failure on their system.
26 -mike