From: George Shapovalov <georges@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Install Instructions
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 10:56:51
1 Some programs might need to have access to /proc during bootstrap/emerge
2 system after you chroot.
3 mount -o bind /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
4 does just that - "mirrors" /proc contents under /mnt/gentoo/proc (which will
5 become new /proc after chrooting).
6 With kernel 2.2 (and correspondingly older mount) you cannot use -o bind
7 option, but you can mount proc for the second time with:
8 mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
9 that will take care of it, and this is what I did in such situation (and BTW
10 this should work for 2.4 as well, just not that elegant, as in my case upon
11 umounting proc mtab was not updated properly. Really minor issue, especially
12 considering that the next step is a reboot :-) (and I was not using a full
13 path when mounting, that might have been a problem).
14
15 George