From: "Tomáš Chvátal" <scarabeus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New eshowkw
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 21:01:37
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Dne 26.10.2010 18:13, Fabian Groffen napsal(a):
5 > Hi Tomáš,
6 >
7 > On 26-10-2010 17:39:04 +0200, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
8 >> So since I would like to have this script replace current eshowkw one I
9 >> want to ask you for kind help on that script and review it and suggest
10 >> improvements.
11 >>
12 >> If the script lack some feature you really want to use also let me know,
13 >> maybe it wont be too hard to implement.
14 >
15 > I havent looked at your implementation, but regarding your "screenshot",
16 > some questions, suggestions, remarks.
17 >
18 > I think you should implement some means of selecting which archs you
19 > want to plot. Preferably through some config file thing. I'd think of
20 > specifying per arch, and or using predefined sets, e.g. to remove all
21 > prefix arches, since they spoil any output with huge unreadable
22 > matrices.
23 >
24 > Have you ever played with rotating the view? Some keywords are awfully
25 > long, like sparc64-solaris. Most versions are shorter.
26 > In case the number of versions is small, you could even have the
27 > versions in columnar style (e.g. not vertical, just a column spanning a
28 > couple of chars), such that it is much better readable.
29 >
30 > Maybe consider a raw, tab, csv alike output format, for easy parsing by
31 > other scripts? Could perhaps handy to render it alternatively as xml,
32 > latex, etc.
33 >
34 > Maybe introduce some more natural language mode? E.g. some indication
35 > per version if all arches are keyworded, stable, per version what arches
36 > are still missing...
37 >
38 Well whole concept of this eshowkw is completely modular, so these
39 features, at least keywords selection and ommiting prefix stuff is quite
40 easy to implement.
41
42 Not sure about the csv/raw output, but again displaying is just one
43 function, so it can be replaced :)
44
45 For the missing archs i think we can highlight all other achs if they
46 are lagging behind other and similar.
47
48 Thanks for pointers
49
50 Also so far only i wrote this stuff so i would like to ask if anyone
51 wants to chip in and help me (specially with profiling that thing and
52 making it faster, as i am not python programmer)
53
54 Tom