From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc: oldnet vs newnet
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 18:08:02
1 On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:52:23AM -0700, Joshua Saddler wrote:
2 > On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 11:16:08 -0500
3 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > All,
6 > >
7 > > I want to start a new thread since the discussion on openrc is centering
8 > > on whether we should use oldnet, newnet, or keep both.
9 >
10 > Use "oldnet." Why?
11 >
12 > 1. We already have a migration guide setup for it:
13 >
14 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
15 >
16 > Keeping "oldnet" will greatly reduce the time needed to change all our other docs, since I can use it as a reference, without needing write a completely new migration guide for "oldnet" and *then* still have to change all our other docs.
17 >
18 > 2. Users are already accustomed to doing things via "oldnet," since they've been using OpenRC and following this guide for two years now, since 2008.
19
20 I'm fine with it being the default for stable for now.
21
22 However, I do think that once we stabilize it, we
23 can learn something from parts of newnet, and possibly use what it was
24 trying to do.
25
26 William