From: Dan Podeanu <pdan@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] some portage related issues
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:13:37
1 Some bugreports, if you find them valid please enter them in bugzilla accordingly. I am not sure gentoo-dev is the correct list to send them to, if I got it wrong, I apologize.
2
3 1. Kernel compilation and gcc
4
5 The recommended gcc version for kernel compile is gcc 2.95.3. Using emerge to get any of the supported kernel packages should have a dependency set on 2.95.3 and a message informing the users to use gcc-config to change the gcc version while compiling the kernel (great tool gcc-config, btw.)
6
7 2. Compiling gcc 2.95.3 with MAKEOPTS="-j5" (on 4 cpu platforms) /etc/make.conf fails. However, without using MAKEOPTS gcc compiles fine. My guess is that gcc simply doesn't like -jX where X is greater than 1, and should not use it, accordingly.
8
9 3. unixODBC and qt
10
11 While bulding a new server from scratch (clean install, from stage1) and using USE="odbc X", 'emerge unixODBC' fails to compile qt (its marked as a depdendency) as the qt compilation tries to include sql/sqltypes.h that will consequently be installed at the end of 'emerge unixODBC' (hence, things are circular). To workaround it, USE="-odbc X", compile unixODBC, USE="odbc X", recompile qt (that was built part of unixODBC compile).
12
13 4. It would be really nice if we had a tool to automate the detection of the build architecture (CHOST, -march & -mcpu) based on the info from /proc/cpu to help the newbie with the installation procedure.
14
15 Thank you.
16
17 Regards,