From: "Sérgio Almeida" <mephx.x@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo SoC <gentoo-soc@l.g.o>, Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Progress on Universal Select Tool
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 14:49:03
1 Hello,
2
3 Current State of Universal Select Tool - uselect
4
5 Proposal link:
6 http://socghop.appspot.com/student_project/show/google/gsoc2009/gentoo/t124022356237
7
8 uselect implementation started a few weeks before SoC officially started
9 to "de-rust" myself on python programming.
10
11 Here follows a checklist of what it already does right now.
12
13 * modules syntax defined
14 * modules support any scripting language
15 * module conversion from eselect to uselect are very easy (even when not
16 symlinking)
17 * per-user/system-wide actions
18 * simple symlinking actions are defined in 1 line only. uselect does all
19 the job.
20 * changing a user python interpreter through adding ~/.uselect/bin to
21 PATH through /etc/profile (is this the better way?)
22
23 Next steps:
24
25 * look deeper into eselect already implemented functions that most
26 modules use (by using inherit) and see what is uselect still lacking
27 * define profiling system (nice thread on gentoo-dev on this)
28 * start the profile system implementation
29 * start using gentoo's git
30
31 Further Notes:
32
33 * At this point I am ahead on schedule because of my early start. With
34 this I have plenty of time to implement features that were not described
35 on the proposal.
36 * Soon I will push the code into gentoo's git. If you have time, take a
37 look at it. Hope these reports are taken also as a "call for ideas".
38
39 Hope I'm not lacking any information. I'm loving working with Gentoo on
40 this. Learned a lot until now.
41
42 Cheers,
43 Sérgio