From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] the state of dev-lang/lua
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 18:47:12
1 On Sun, 2019-03-24 at 12:44 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 02:26:35PM +0100, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
3 > > Am Samstag, 23. März 2019, 22:23:27 CET schrieb William Hubbs:
4 > > > Hi all,
5 > > >
6 > > > Soon I will be working on fixing up the state of dev-lang/lua, and there
7 > > > are a couple of things I want to mention.
8 > > >
9 > > > The first thing is liblua as a shared library. If you are using lua
10 > > > internally in a program, upstream strongly recommends not linking it
11 > > > this way; it is supposed to be statically linked into the executable.
12 > > > Because of this, and because of the amount of custom patching we do to
13 > > > maintain liblua as a shared library, I plan to stop creating the shared
14 > > > library.
15 > > >
16 > >
17 > > Please dont. Static linking is a security nightmare.
18 > >
19 > > I'd much rather consider removing the static library, and fix programs broken
20 > > by that. (No matter what silly opinions lua upstream has.)
21 >
22 > Here is what upstream says, so let me know how you interpret it.
23 >
24 > http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/readme.html
25
26 They don't provide any rationale, and they say to use shared libraries
27 on Windows. To me, it looks like they didn't want to figure out how to
28 build shared libs for various unix flavors, and took the easy way out.
29
30 > Also, there is this in our ebuilds:
31 >
32 > # Using dynamic linked lua is not recommended for performance
33 > # reasons. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.lua.general/18519
34 > # Mainly, this is of concern if your arch is poor with GPRs, like x86
35 > # Note that this only affects the interpreter binary (named lua), not the lua
36 > # compiler (built statically) nor the lua libraries (both shared and static
37 > # are installed)
38 >
39 > It looks like the link is dead, so I don't have any idea what
40 > performance issues they are talking about.
43 Probably the performance loss resulting from use of -fPIC. Which we're
44 forcing anyway nowadays, so no loss to us.
47 Best regards,
48 Michał Górny