From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: "Trusted contributor model"
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 10:35:29
2 > 2nd RFC: Recruiting proven contributors without a mentor
3 >
4 > I'm aware recruiters don't really need to ask a permission here, but I
5 > believe it's great to gauge the general feelings about this beforehand.
6 > What would you say if recruiters started more actively approaching
7 > potential developers? And currently I'm talking about people who have
8 > been active for a very long time (+year or two), who keep up with
9 > development-wise changes in Gentoo (eclasses, EAPI, virtuals...),
10 > participate in the community, and always provide top-quality
11 > contributions, but for some reason never got a mentor? I'd like to point
12 > out that this method would only be for the very few ones and recruiting
13 > through mentoring would still be the desired method.
14 > Recruiting through
15 > recruiters would still require the candidate to fill the
16 > ebuild/developer quiz, and they'd have to pass it without a mentor. So
17 > I'll emphasize: Currently only few special ones would qualify.
18
19 These who would fit here are the people where mentoring takes literally
20 no effort. So someone could be mentor in name - which would also have
21 the advantage that the future developer has someone to talk to if there
22 are any problems or questions.
23
24 I dont think this actually brings an improvement.
27 Andreas K. Hüttel
28 dilfridge@g.o
29 Gentoo Linux developer
30 (council, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)