From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving subslot-only virtuals to a separate category to reduce confusion
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 10:29:03
1 >>>>> On Sat, 30 Jan 2021, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 2021-01-30 at 18:35 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
4 >>
5 >> To make this SOVERSION-virtual concept more visible and easily
6 >> distinguishable from regular virtuals, I'd like to propose that we
7 >> start
8 >> moving them into a dedicated category. For example, 'lib-sover'
9 >> comes
10 >> to my mind. While this ofc doesn't guarantee that people will do
11 >> things
12 >> right, it will at least make it clear that these packages are
13 >> somewhat
14 >> different from regular virtuals and hopefully avoid making wrong
15 >> assumptions.
16
17 > I would go all the way and move (say) the libjpeg provider to media-
18 > libs/libjpeg.
19
20 Either that, or the opposite of it, i.e. move it to something like
21 virtual/libjpeg-soname to make the intention clear. Whatever we would
22 choose, I don't think that we need a new category for this.
23
24 Also, moving these virtuals out of virtual/ would require updating
25 several tools. For example, tools must handle empty HOMEPAGE and
26 LICENSE.
27
28 Ulrich