From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Optimizing performance
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 15:42:16
1 On Saturday 24 December 2005 00:52, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > On Friday 23 December 2005 18:35, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > > Just to add. This is not so much related to debugging information in the
4 > > library files (what gdb can use). That information never makes it from
5 > > disk so is not that much of a speed issue (esp. if it is split out).
6 >
7 > Actually, if the binaries are not stripped, they consume more memory.
8 > With splitdebug the issue is unseen (I'm happily using it with -g3 for
9 > everything now..)
10
11 Debug info shouldn't be loaded into memory. Or is it? I agree though that
12 splitting them out is probably better for memory use.
13
14 Paul
17 Paul de Vrieze
18 Gentoo Developer