From: Peter Johanson <latexer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, brix@××××.org, x86-kernel@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [LAST CHANCE]: kernel + kernel module ebuild changes
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 01:51:23
1 On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 10:00:45AM -0500, Peter Johanson wrote:
2 > hey everyone,
3 >
4 > SUMMARY:
5 >
6 > This is a follow up to the email i sent out about a month ago concerning
7 > kernel and kernel module ebuilds. As many people have probably noticed,
8 > kernel module ebuilds against 2.6 kernels generally fall victim to the
9 > "need to write to /usr/src/linux" problem. I'm in the finishing touches
10 > phase of a new system which will resolve this. For the full nasty
11 > details, see bug #32737 on bugs.gentoo.org (beware, it's a long one).
12 > Docs aimed at both users and developers can be found at:
13 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~latexer/2.6-koutput-user.html
14 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~latexer/2.6-koutput.html
17 In conjunction with these two docs, i've now put together an overlay,
18 with instructions, for people to use to test. All of this can be found
19 at:
20 http://dev.gentoo.org/~latexer/files/koutput/
21
22 Download kmod-overlay.tar.bz2, unpack it to somewhere, and follow the
23 instructions found there or in the README included in the tarball.
24 There may be small buglets in a few of those that i haven't had time to
25 give my full attention recently, but generally they should work fine.
26 Thanks in advance for all those testing!
27
28 I'm going to work on fleshing out config-kernel, so for now that part is
29 needs to be done by hand (explained in the README)
30
31 -pete
35 Peter Johanson
36 <latexer@g.o>
37
38 Key ID = 0x6EFA3917
39 Key fingerprint = A90A 2518 57B1 9D20 9B71 A2FF 8649 439B 6EFA 3917