From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About adding a *warning* to remind maintainers to check for new PYTHON_COMPAT values
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 17:37:52
1 On 11 Jul 2017 01:41, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 07/10/2017 03:35 PM, Kent Fredric wrote:
4 > > On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 13:43:43 +0200
5 > > Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> Yes, but it's similar as the cases when we need to fix our packages
8 > >> to work with a newer library they depend on. In this case it would be
9 > >> even easier as we can have multiple python versions and switch to the
10 > >> newer one for testing while going back to the stable one (if
11 > >> preferred) later.
12 > >>
13 > >
14 > > I'm starting to think we need a collection of QA scripts in a repo
15 > > somewhere, optimized for symlinking into /etc/portage/hooks/install/
18 > I might've read things too quickly, we're not talking a repoman check here?
19
20 Not sure repoman is enough here.
21
22 But I'm just saying I see a growing number of problems that can only be detected by actually building the package, and can't be done with static analysis.
23
24 And then, some of those that can be addressed with repoman are annoying to solve with repoman, as you're tying your release cycle to repomans.
25
26 And what if your check needs external tools? Surely repoman would be a terrible place to put those dependencies
27 >
28 > --
29 > Kristian Fiskerstrand
30 > OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
31 > fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3