From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Important information to all Evolution users!
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 18:05:52
1 Hi!
2
3 I just added Evolution 0.12, sorry for the long delay but there was an
4 issue in the default installation of Gentoo Linux that made Evolution >=
5 0.11 segfault at start up. I have after about one week of heavy
6 debugging found the problem and fixed it in the default installation
7 (for new users).
8
9 However the issue is there on all current users. The problem is related
10 to nss-db. Evolution links statically against libdb3 3.1.17, we have
11 3.2.3 (which is incomatible) as default in Gentoo. When calling getpwuid
12 (glibc function) glibc looks in /etc/nsswitch.conf to see how it should
13 access the information about users and passwords. We had by default 'db'
14 as the primary access method. This caused glibc to dynamically link
15 libdb3 3.2.3 into the binary which is statically linked to 3.1.17.
16 Somehow this mixed up the symbols table and the program would segfault.
17 Now for the solution, I've removed nss-db as default in
18 /etc/nsswitch.conf and also made so that it doesn't get installed by
19 default (ie, emerge system). There is no need for this to be default and
20 for those who knows what they are doing it's easy enough to install it.
21
22 There are actually two ways of fixing this:
23
24 1) edit /etc/nsswitch.conf and remove 'db' so that it will instead use
25 'files' for passwd, shadow and group.
26
27 2) unmerge sys-libs/nss-db.
28
29 Both this solutions works and gives you the possibility to run Evolution
30 0.12 on your system.
31
32 Regards,
33 Mikael Hallendal