From: Alain Penders <alain@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage Integrity (Was: gcc ebuild's, downgrades, deletion etc)
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:19:18
1 On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 01:27:16PM +0100, Spider wrote:
2
3 > Now here is an issue and a pet peeve I have with ebuild submitters,
4 > especially in the desktop set of applications. They re-submit an ebuild
5 > that is created by doing cp oldbuild->newbuild. Why?
6 >
7 > Doing that has made a lot of us cautious since the usersubmitted builds
8 > are generally an annoyance in such cases, fex. When somone doesn't state
9 > teh changes in the ebuild between the old and the new, I'm forced to
10 > proofread the new builds completely as to avoid getting messed over.
11 >
12 > So, did you actually state what differed your build from the last?
13 > builds without a Changes entry will get a far rougher treatment than
14 > others.
15 >
16 > (Why do users insist on not submiting the ChangeLog entry?)
17
18 Maybe because they trust that all our developers know how to diff a submitted
19 ebuild against the last approved one?
20
21 Even with a changelog entry, I would never add a user-submitted ebuild without
22 diffing it and making sure I know what changed and why.
23
24 Alain
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list