From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: backward-incompatible changes in eclasses
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 12:48:03
1 On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 20:27:51 +0200
2 Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > AFAIK all major changes have been posted here and pushed with some delay.
5
6 In my experience, "Some delay" is usually short, as developers making
7 the change are eager to push it through.
8
9 But the people maintaining the overlays are much more likely to have a
10 bigger expectation of what that "delay" should be, because many of them
11 don't have the time to read -dev every day, and they have other things
12 to do than rework their overlay with regards to patches on ::gentoo.
13
14 So what's more likely to happen is the breakage isn't noticed till
15 users are affected and complaining, and that's not ideal.
16
17 ( Though at the end of the day, this problem ends up being a "not
18 enough devs to man the pumps", I have stuff I've let rot because I've
19 got too many things to do, and nobody really is taking up the slack )