From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:14:55
1 On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 08:52, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On Thursday 26 February 2004 14:42, Toby Dickenson wrote:
6 > > The other replies in this thread have discussed compatibility of the
7 > > GPL with the new xfree license, but I'm not sure thats relevant to
8 > > this case.
9 > >
10 > > The xfree license faq http://www.xfree86.org/legal/licenses.html
11 > > states that the new license is not being applied to client-side
12 > > libraries. IMHO GPL compatibility of this new license is only relevant
13 > > for server-side components licensed under the GPL. Does that cover
14 > > anything other than drivers?
15 >
16 > Yes, it covers distributors such as us. It means that we still need to
17 > acknowledge xfree86 if we make any acknowledgement. I could live with a
18 > restriction where xfree86 would require an acknowlegement for any
19 > derivated products which aim for a similar audience, given that that
20 > would not include only distributor-patched versions of xfree.
21
22 Toby,
23
24 Here's a slight addition to what Paul had to say.
25
26 Perhaps you didn't notice, but I never mentioned anything about
27 client-side libraries. One thing I did mention, however, was GPL
28 drivers.
29
30 A little more detail from one of my original emails:
31
32 "If Gentoo distributes a GPL program or driver that can build against
33 any of the XFree86-licensed sources (for example, the SDK), Gentoo
34 probably violates the GPL. If Gentoo distributes a GPL XFree86 driver
35 (for example, x11-misc/synaptics) that can load into this X server,
36 Gentoo probably violates the GPL."
37
38 Thanks,
39 D