From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] X won't start, says RmInitAdapter failed (nvidia drvs)
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 11:17:47
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I have a Toshiba Satellite 3000-400 laptop w/ a GeForce2Go. I have tried
4 kernels 2.4.14, 16 and 17 w/ drivers 1.0.1541 with and without the devfs pach
5 and 1.0.2314 and they all exhibit this problem (I havent' tried all
6 combinations, but most of them).
7
8 The kernel module loads OK. But when running X, the X log says 'couldn't
9 initialize kernel module' and aborts; the kernel log says 'NV0: RmInitAdapter
10 failed'.
11
12 This first appeared after recently reinstalling Gentoo (r13), although there
13 are AFAIK no really big system app updates. (The old system was an rc6-r9).
14 Before the reinstallation, the system worked with kernel 2.4.14 and drivers
15 1.0.2314; I've tried this configuration now as well, to no avail. I even use
16 my old kernel .config. Still this is likely some miscofiguration. It appears
17 to be linked to devfs; I have the correct device files generated.
18
19 The nv driver works fine.
20
21 Any advice, pointers?