From: Jodok Batlogg <batlogg@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: mountain-sprint@×××××××××××××.at
Subject: [gentoo-dev] invitation for the mountain-sprint in austria
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 21:14:15
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 hi,
5
6 i'd like to invite you to attend a sprint (explanation below) in
7 alberschwende, vorarlberg, austria.
8 we'd like to bring local developers in contact with you. we plan to
9 bring roughly 40 people (devs/users) from 3 different os projects
10 (gentoo, zope/plone, openoffice) together.
11 we can fund expenses for 8 leading people, the other people will get
12 cheap accommodation.
13
14 that was the short version - if you are interested continue reading :)
15 and check http://plone.org/events/sprints/mountain-sprint
16
17 my background is zope/plone, i'm plone developer and in the gentoo
18 project i try to help out the net-zope herd.
19 my company focusses on os development, we're also working on quite some
20 european projects. one of these projects is OSIV (open source
21 initiative vorarlberg, http://www.osiv.at - in german). within this
22 eu-founded project we have one activity where we bring developers from
23 our country together with international os developers.
24
25 from September 16th to September 19th we are organizing a sprint with
26 the following topics:
27
28 - - zope/plone (elearning, calendaring, groupware, gentoo integration)
29 - - server-apps for SMEs (groupware, security,...)
30 - - open office (integration, users)
31 - - linux (developers and system administrators)
32
33 the sprint is co-financed by the european commission - we can pay
34 flight and accommodation for up to 8 people. these people should be
35 able to lead one or more of the topics above.
36 "ordinary" participants have to pay roughly EUR 350,- (includes
37 everything for the 4 days except travel: accommodation, sprint
38 location, beverage/food, entertainment)
39 the plone conference in vienna starts at the 20th of september in
40 vienna. we'll organize a night-train to this event to this event (will
41 be included in the price)
42
43 if you are interested in this event sign up
44 mountain-sprint@×××××××××××××.at (just send a msg "subscribe" to the
45 list), write in a few sentences who you are and why you'd like to
46 attend :)
47 please check http://plone.org/events/sprints/mountain-sprint for
48 updates too.
49
50 cheers - looking forward to meet you
51
52 jodok
55 - -------------------
56 SPRINTING EXPLAINED (from zope)
57 - -------------------
58
59 A sprint is organized with a coach leading the session. The coach sets
60 the agenda, uses the whiteboard to track activities, and keeps the
61 development moving. The developers work in pairs using XP's pair
62 programming approach. One of the pairs needs to be a veteran sprinter,
63 and both need experience. Some sprints are focused on a specific
64 topic, like internationalization or cataloging.
65 The sprint approach works best when the first few hours are spent
66 getting oriented. This means e.g. presenting Zope3 and the tutorial,
67 getting everyone's computers working with the CVS server, etc. The need
68 to have a veteran in each pair can be a limit on the number of pairs,
69 which shouldn't go above four (for a total of eight sprinters). The
70 coach can be a veteran in a pair.
71 Needless to say, a sprint needs a host to provide the space and
72 connectivity. Whiteboards are usually needed. All sprinters should
73 bring their own laptops with ethernet connections.
74 At the end of the sprint, code is produced and Project moves forward.
75 This by definition means that sprinters need to have cvs access (and
76 sign e.g. the corresponding Contributors Agreement)
77
78 jodok batlogg
79
80 - --
81 telesis Entwicklungs- und Management GmbH · Hof 4 · A-6861 Alberschwende
82 Tel +43 5579 7171-65 · Fax -71 · Mobil +43 699 11841546
83 http://telesis.at/ · jodok.batlogg@×××××××.at
84
85 have a nice day
96 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list