From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] preference concerns over "gentoo-ization" of packages
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 02:54:14
1 Jason,
2
3 I think that much of the config-changing is harmless. Default themes,
4 for example, are something that pretty much all the distros change.
5 It's truly harmless because each individual user has total power to set
6 their own themes.
7
8 Regarding chunking up configs into multiple files, that decision should
9 be left up to the developers who are maintaining each ebuild. If the
10 practice makes any particular packages more difficult to manage, we
11 should be seeing bugs filed to bring the problem to the attention of the
12 responsible developers.
13
14 Nonetheless, I agree with you in spirit. Take a look at the comment
15 near the top of /etc/vim/vimrc for example:
16
17 " The following are some sensible defaults for Vim for most users.
18 " We attempt to change as little as possible from Vim's defaults,
19 " deviating only where it makes sense
20
21 Anyway, I think it really comes down to the decision of the developers
22 maintaining the ebuilds. They're the ones in the best situation to
23 choose whether and how a package should be modified for inclusion into
24 Gentoo.
25
26 Aron