From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Yet Another Multi-QT Scheme
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 06:01:27
1 On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 22:37:14 +0200
2 Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi all,
5 >
6 > The current (latest) scheme for the qt /etc/env.d files has multi-qt
7 support
8 > with regard to major qt versions (2,3,...) but not minor versions (2.2,
9 > 2.3...). This is my proposition for adding this
10
11 Stupid question: Why would we really need this ?
12
13 > Proposition 1:
14 > qt-x.y.z (8-x)(9-y)qt-x11-x.y.z
15 > That is:
16 > qt-2.0 69
17 > qt-2.2 67
18 > qt-2.3 66
19 > qt-3.0 50
20 > qt-4 40
21
22 This should only be availble in Gentoo Special Edition - for the
23 mathematically inclined.
24
25 > Now that I've written both out, the first seems rather silly :-)
26
27 I vote for the second.
28
29 > However, everyone will have to merge the latest revision of their 2.x qt
30 and
31 > unmerge the old one before merging any version of qt3.x. Once things get
32
33 > settled - and I really think this'll be the final scheme - how do we
34 make
35 > everyone upgrade?
36
37 Before this is completely settled, do we we have other libraries of which
38 we might want different versions installed, that need special attention ?
39
40 Reason I am asking is that if, say libxsltproc should be installed for
41 multiple versions, we might want to abstract out commonalities between
42 libxsltproc and libqt. If nobody knows of other troublesome libraries at
43 this point, let's use Dan's solution and review it later if it breaks.
44
45 Regards,
46
47 Karl T