From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Council meeting summary for 10 July 2008
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 12:42:07
1 On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 05:32:58 +0200
2 Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
3 > I'm sorry to say this, but I actually do take offence at most things
4 > you write.
5
6 Perhaps you should consider what that indicates about yourself, rather
7 than about me.
8
9 > > As you know fine well, implementing what clearly should be
10 >
11 > Please stop assuming people know everything you know and/or that
12 > people should know everything you know. This is a public forum where
13 > you should undertake to explain yourself fully instead of referring
14 > vaguely to an unknown set of morals and then suggesting another party
15 > should address whatever conflicts with that. It is a particularly
16 > subtle variant of the classic straw man that you regularly wield, and
17 > it is one of those things that often makes me take offence at what
18 > you write.
19
20 All I'm assuming is that people have read and understood the GLEP, and
21 in any places where they don't understand, they ask. Is that assuming
22 too much?
23
24 > > package manager provided functionality as hacks in an ebuild is
25 > > never going to give a nice, elegant solution. However, if package
26 > > manager functionality isn't available and can't become available
27 > > quickly, it might be the only solution until such functionality can
28 > > come along.
29 >
30 > So it's not "doing them badly", it's currently the only solution and
31 > you haven't provided any arguments against this only solution as yet.
32
33 No, it is doing it badly. A square wheel is bad, even if it was
34 necessary because the round one was unattainable.
35
36 > > > In other words perhaps, is it your opinion that GLEP 55 needs to
37 > > > be implemented because sys-libs/glibc requires an immediate
38 > > > rewrite? Are there any bug reports that would be good examples of
39 > > > why this new implementation is warranted?
40 > >
41 > > GLEP 55 wouldn't even allow an immediate rewrite of glibc because
42 > > new EAPIs can't easily be used on system packages.
43 >
44 > Oh. You just shot down your only real world example (eblit versus GLEP
45 > 55). If you have any more, I'd happily have a look at them, as would
46 > anyone else worrying about the consequences of having GLEP 55
47 > implemented.
48
49 Uh. Future versions of glibc? Read what I wrote.
50
51 > > So no. Instead, GLEP 55 would allow a future EAPI to introduce a
52 > > proper per-package eclass-like solution at the package manager
53 > > level, which could then over time be phased into glibc, and over
54 > > less time be phased into other packages that would make use of it.
55 > > That's the nice thing about the GLEP -- it allows the phased
56 > > introduction of a larger class improvements without major upheaval.
57 >
58 > [Class _of_ improvements, I guess.]
59 >
60 > Please provide an example of what that process would look like. You've
61 > always been good at these "we have ebuild 1, then ebuild 2 comes
62 > along, depending on ebuild 3 [...]" games, so please explain what
63 > we'd end up with in a hypothetical GLEP 55 compliant
64 > gentoo-x86/sys-libs/glibc, with "build files" (formerly ebuilds)
65 > getting added, removed, keyworded, package.masked and so on.
66
67 New, experimental glibc versions that aren't expected to go stable
68 quickly use the new EAPI. Existing versions and any "will need to go
69 stable soon" bumps stay using the old EAPI. After the next release
70 (which is *only* an issue for dependencies of the package manager)
71 all new glibc versions use the new EAPI.
72
73 > What _I_ envision now is a motley crew of EAPI suffixed "build files"
74 > processing through gentoo-x86/sys-libs/glibc over time. Surely it
75 > would look a right mess every time you needed to go into that
76 > directory (particularly not in a role as any package manager's user or
77 > developer, but as a "build file" developer browsing through those
78 > files).
79
80 How does:
81
82 $ ls
83 ChangeLog glibc-2.3.6-r4.ebuild glibc-2.5.1.ebuild
84 Manifest glibc-2.3.6-r5.ebuild glibc-2.6.1.ebuild
85 files glibc-2.4-r4.ebuild glibc-2.6.ebuild
86 glibc-2.2.5-r10.ebuild glibc-2.5-r2.ebuild glibc-2.7-r2.ebuild
87 glibc-2.3.2-r12.ebuild glibc-2.5-r3.ebuild
88 glibc-2.8_p20080602.ebuild-2
89 glibc-2.3.5-r3.ebuild glibc-2.5-r4.ebuild metadata.xml
90
91 look any worse than what's there now?
92
93 > What GLEP 55 fails to address right now is the very development
94 > process it is seemingly supposed to alleviate. It addresses the issue
95 > of EAPI implementation from the viewpoint of the package manager's
96 > developer, but it doesn't begin to address the viewpoint of the
97 > package maintainer or architecture developer at all. It looks to me
98 > like a lot of problems are moved out of the package manager(s) and
99 > into this already huge tree of files, with different EAPI-suffixed
100 > files addressing different problems, and that indicate be a
101 > non-trivial increase in the number of files in the tree - files which
102 > would address the equal purpose of installing exactly one
103 > =cat/pkg-ver.
104
105 GLEP 55 does not change the EAPI process from a maintainer perspective,
106 except that it replaces "set EAPI=X in the ebuild" with "use .ebuild-X".
107
108 > In other words, disregarding its other real world deficiencies like an
109 > immediate goal, GLEP 55 fails to describe a keywording policy for
110 > architecture developers and it fails to describe a "build file"
111 > addition (bump) policy for package maintainers.
112
113 There *is* no change there.
116 Ciaran McCreesh