From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:36:15
1 On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:28:06 -0500
2 Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 > I got the impression that if anything there is a desire to allow
4 > EAPIs to change more offen, and not less. And these changes could
5 > become more dramatic.
6
7 But we're still only talking maybe three new EAPIs a year.
8
9 > Also - keep in mind that EAPIs do not need to be numbers and are not
10 > ordered. You could have ebuild-i_am_a_furry_monkey or
11 > ebuild-<bunch-of-stuff-in-unicode-that-maybe-your-terminal-displays>.
12 > Sure - hopefully the names will be more sensible and somewhat
13 > uniform, but we're not necessarily just talking about adding a number
14 > to the extension.
15
16 You're using "developers might do something really stupid" as an
17 argument? By that logic, the current setup sucks since someone might
18 make an EAPI called a'b"c\d , so developers might have to put weird
19 escaping in when specifying EAPI.
20
21 Also note that kdebuild went with .kdebuild-1, not .ebuild-kdebuild-1.
22 It's no leap to have slightly different extension rules for any project
23 that creates its own non-numerical EAPIs.
24
25 > I still don't see why we need to be encoding metadata in filenames.
26
27 Because the metadata has to be known before the file can be used.
28
29 > PERL doesn't care what a file extension is, python doesn't care,
30 > bzip2 doesn't care, tar doesn't care, gzip doesn't care, and even
31 > ld-linux.so doesn't care. I'm sure that in at least some of these
32 > cases they end up parsing parts of the file twice - once to figure
33 > out what it is, and the second time to actually handle it. I'm
34 > actually hard pressed to think of any unix-based software that uses
35 > the filename to store a mandatory file format versioning specifier of
36 > some kind.
37
38 Back when Perl 5 and PHP 5 were new, people often used extensions
39 like .php4 and .php5 to tell their webserver how to handle scripts...
40
41 > This seems to me to be a solved problem. You put a header in a file
42 > that tells you how to read the file. Headers are split into fields
43 > and if a program doesn't know what to do with a field it ignores it
44 > (or if the header so instructs it doesn't even try to parse the
45 > file). This should be easy to do and keep the file bash-compatible.
46 > Just stick a comment line close to the top of the file and put
47 > whatever you want on it.
48
49 That doesn't work with existing packages or existing package managers.
50
51 > Sure, if you make some major change analogous to switching from
52 > the .rpm to the .deb package format then maybe an extension change
53 > would make sense. But, why expose the inner workings of the package
54 > file format to the filesystem?
55
56 For the same reason versions and package names are already in the
57 filename.
60 Ciaran McCreesh