From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LibreSSL import plan
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 11:42:29
1 On 09/30/2015 01:29 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > On 09/30/2015 01:27 PM, hasufell wrote:
3 >> On 09/30/2015 01:22 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 2:35 AM, Paweł Hajdan, Jr.
5 >>> <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
6 >>>> On 9/29/15 3:32 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
7 >
8 > ..
9 >
10 >>> Perhaps the in-between solution would be for forking upstreams
11 >>> to preserve the same symbol names as long as the APIs are
12 >>> identical, and change them when they are not. I don't really see
13 >>> that having any more impact on downstream consumers than silently
14 >>> changing the APIs and it would probably get rid of the symbol
15 >>> collision problem.
16 >>>
17 >
18 >> Again: can you take that to libressl mailing list or start another
19 >> thread?
22 > The way I see it this is relevant to the discussion at hand. Before
23 > implementing any system wide change to support LibreSSL, in order to
24 > avoid future issues, a proper cost/benefit analysis and discussion is
25 > in order.
28 Since I am almost the only one working on it, I am not sure what you
29 mean with that.
30
31 If you have anything to add to the import discussion please do so. But
32 this thread is not about the general course of LibreSSL, because we are
33 not forking it. And I doubt that anyone here is going to do that, so I
34 don't see how such discussion are relevant for us here.
35
36 The relevant information that impacts us as distributors has already
37 been added to this thread and the consequences are as follows:
38 * virtual does not make sense
39 * libressl USE flag is necessary
40 * libressl has to conflict with openssl
43 > Do we have an overview of what functionality and other pros (hereunder
44 > security gains that is not fixed in OpenSSL) is gained by implementing
45 > global LibreSSL support?
48 Yes, it is widely known:
49 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreSSL#Security_and_vulnerabilities
50
51 > Or is this just increasing our maintenance, and security tracking, etc
52 > burdens without any strong benefits?
55 It increases maintenance burden in the same way that clang/libav/qt5
56 support increases maintenance burden.