From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-x86 tree cleanup for 'DESCRIPTION ends with a '.' character' warnings
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 01:48:31
1 On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 03:22:11PM +0300, Sergei Trofimovich wrote:
2 > Hello World!
3 >
4 > TL;DR:
5 > This evening I plan to mangle ~3000 ebuilds in the main tree
6 > by dropping trailing '.' in all 'DESCRIPTION=' fields (except "etc." case)
7 >
8 > Long story:
9 >
10 > As you may know newest portage release 2.2.11
11 > got a minor (but chatty) QA warning:
12 > DESCRIPTION ends with a '.' character
13
14 Why is this a QA warning in the first place?
15
16 I don't recall a policy mandating that descriptions can't end with '.'. I
17 asked our QA lead about it and was told that he didn't recall that we
18 have an official policy about it either. Also, the devmanual never
19 mentions any such requirement.
20
21 If someone can point me to something I'm missing, let me know.
22 Otherwise, I think the warning should be removed.
23
24 William