From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: brettholcomb@×××××××.net
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ebuild questions
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 06:25:39
1 I think this question is more geared towards gentoo-user, but ${PV} and
2 ${PN} are offshoots of ${P}. Basically, if ${P} stands for "Package
3 Name & Version", then ${PV} and ${PN} hold the Version and Name of the
4 package specifically. Others of note are ${A}, which I believe is the
5 archive (i.e., the tarball), ${S} for Source Directory. ${WORKDIR} and
6 ${FILESDIR} and ${DISTFILES} should all be self-explanatory (I think
7 ${DISTFILES} exists).
8
9 As for additional documentation on these, they might be in the other
10 docs, but you probably will have to just study random ebuilds.
11
12 --Kumba
16 Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
17
18 > If this is the wrong list for this question please tell me where to move it
19 > but it doesn't seem to fit gentoo-user or any of the others.
20 >
21 > I want to do an ebuild for some programs but have never done one. I've read
22 > the Gentoo docs on ebuilds and eclasses and the man pages for ebuild.
23 > However, in looking at some ebuilds - noticably flight gear and wine-cvs I
24 > see variables such a $PV defined. The docs mention $P but not $PV or other
25 > variables. I've browsed some of the eclasses trying to find the definitions
26 > and haven't been successful. Where are these explained. Are there any more
27 > docs I can read?
28 >
29 > Thanks.
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list