From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] slots and libraries.
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:56:12
1 On Wednesday 12 April 2006 03:38, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 11 April 2006 19:13, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 11 April 2006 10:52, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
4 > > > Please remember, this is the reason we have SLOTS
5 > >
6 > > no it isnt
7 > >
8 > > you're complaining about lack of a portage feature to track ABI's and
9 > > urging the use of hacks in ebuilds to work around it
10 >
11 > While I agree that SLOT's are not perfect, they were created to solve this
12 > problem too. If another working solution is found, that is ok for me too.
13 > But I don't want to just find my binary stops working because some of its
14 > libraries were removed from under it. Those libraries can coexist, so we
15 > should keep them to give users an opportunity to upgrade their applications
16 > to the new one. Only at that point do they become inappropriate.
17
18 so you preserve the lib with the preserve_old_lib* functions in eutils.eclass
19
20 going around SLOTing random crap just adds overhead and makes using the
21 package a huge pita ... it hurts a lot more than it helps
22 -mike
23 --
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list