From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ship app-arch/pbzip2 instead of app-arch/bzip2
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 23:59:04
1 On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 6:57 PM, Christoph Junghans <ottxor@g.o> wrote:
2 > 2012/9/26 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>:
3 >> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
5 >>> <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
6 >>>> Michael Mol schrieb:
7 >>>>> A few months ago, I filed bug 423651 to ask that bzip2 on the install
8 >>>>> media be replaced with
9 >>>>> pbzip2.
10 >>>>
11 >>>> If I understand correctly, pbzip2 depends on bzip2. So what you are
12 >>>> asking is that pbzip2 is preferred over bzip2 when both are installed,
13 >>>> and that pbzip2 is installed by default?
14 >>>
15 >>> pbzip2 uses libbzip2, which I understand bzip2 to also be a wrapper around.
16 >>>
17 >>
18 >> libbz2 is built and installed by the app-arch/bzip2 package. Thus,
19 >> app-arch/pbzip2 depends on app-arch/bzip2, unless someone rips libbz2
20 >> out into a separate ebuild.
21 > That sound like a plan. Maybe bzip2 should become a virtual as busybox
22 > also provides an implementation.
23
24 This makes sense. And going back to my initial issue, I don't really
25 care which implementation gets used on the bootable media, so long as
26 it supports scaling to use my CPU cores.
29 :wq