From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Remove your modular X unmask
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:08:29
1 Donnie Berkholz posted <44471766.7000605@g.o>, excerpted below, on
2 Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:08:54 -0700:
3
4 > This is a reminder to everybody that now modular X is in ~arch, you need
5 > to REMOVE YOUR MODULAR X UNMASK.
6 >
7 > We're getting lots of issues because people aren't doing this and are
8 > getting package.mask'd versions of programs because they forgot about it.
9 >
10 > In particular, xorg-server 1.0.99 has an ABI break, which breaks all
11 > Nvidia and ATI binary drivers.
12
13 FWIW, I played with xorg-server 1.0.99 and the new ATI drivers (Radeon
14 9250, dual monitor in merged framebuffer mode, on amd64, compiled with
15 gcc-4.1.0) for about 12 hours yesterday. There's some really nice
16 improvements coming (with Option AccelMethod "EXA", the CPU cost of
17 composite transparency/shadows/fading is virtually zero, and EXA is far
18 more stable than in current ~arch), but as might be expected with an early
19 release candidate, there's still enough issues that I eventually reverted
20 back to ~arch, which now seems slow and CPU hungry with
21 composite/transparency on, dull and stuffy without! <g>
22
23 In particular:
24
25 * The zoom hotkeys (CTRL-ALT-PLUS/MINUS) didn't work at all -- I had to
26 use krandrtray which isn't the same since it shrinks the virtual desktop,
27 not just the viewport.
28
29 * krandrtray failed to restore a full sized desktop in some cases (this
30 may be due to an error in the log I saw -- from memory so isn't exact,
31 failed to allocate backup/restore memory, display may get corrupted)
32
33 * Overlay was doing strange thing. In this case it was SDL overlay as
34 used by dosbox -- I tried rebuilding both libsdl and dosbox, but the
35 overlay still failed. Maybe related to the ABI change?
36
37 * General instability, with both EXA and XAA. Not entirely unexpected at
38 this point, and EXA is /vastly/ improved over both the current ~arch
39 version and XAA (new and ~arch) efficiency-wise.
40
41 Is it worth posting bugs on these yet? Gentoo or upstream? Any tracker
42 bug to point me at? (I have the binpkgs so can remerge them for
43 additional testing with little trouble, if necessary.)
44
45 It's impressive enough to have me eagerly awaiting the next rc. Good work
46 both here and upstream! Is the proposed schedule on the wiki at
47 desktop.org still valid? A couple more RCs, and release in about a month
48 if all goes well?
53 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
54 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
58 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list