From: Rumen Yotov <rumen_yotov@×××.bg>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] pkg_setup() and sandbox
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 06:54:58
1 On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 09:47:17 +0900
2 Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Should pkg_setup() be run in a sandbox?
5 >
6 > The current reasons to not have it sandboxed include:
7 >
8 > - ebuilds need to add users
9 > - ... (any others?)
10 >
11 > So, would it make sense to sandbox pkg_setup() and only unmask the
12 > passwd files needed for adding users? enewuser & friends can be made
13 > to unmask those locations on demand, thus making the transition
14 > painless.
15 >
16 > What other reasons are there for having pkg_setup() outside the
17 > sandbox?
18 >
19 > As to why I'm asking -- this[1] abolition of an ebuild made its way on
20 > the qmail mailing list and I was shocked that it does not die in the
21 > first place.
22 >
23 > Disclamer: Exercise great caution with the following link. Only read
24 > one line at a time or you may be overwhelmed. Take a break every 10
25 > lines or so. Have a sedative handy.
26 >
27 > [1]
28 > http://briandowney.net/?page=linux&section=gentooebuilds&ebuild=netqmail
29 >
30 Hi,
31 Also quite messed up my system, while trying out netqmail-1.05.ebuild
32 (BUG-106642).
33 Still another issue, is there a way to use an "epatch" after which it's
34 known you'll have an error, which later is fixed by another patch.
35 IMHO it's easier just to fix the patch (if possible).
36 Same problem (with pkg_setup() pkg_*) exists with this ebuild too.
37 Thanks. Rumen