From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] punting the use.defaults feature
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:46:11
1 On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 04:33:08PM +0100, Jakub Moc wrote:
2 > would someone more competent explain to me, why
3
4 you approached this all wrong ... you were supposed to say something
5 like "can we get rid of this hidden feature please"
6
7 i see no reason to keep use.defaults around anymore, i think the rest
8 of our config/profile system covers for it adequately and in a manner
9 that doesnt confused people
10
11 > - this feature even exists
12
13 it made sense when it was designed ... back in the much, much older
14 days of portage
15
16 > - why has a mass of things been commited in there recently
17
18 because they belong there
19
20 > - confusing users
21
22 the file has always confused people, whether they be user or dev
23
24 > - rendering /etc/portage/package.keywords useless (install a dep for one
25 > particular ebuild and enjoy the USE flag enabled globally)
26
27 unrelated
28
29 > - causing unwanted results (I did not really install app-text/recode for the
30 > purpose of enabling USE=recode globally and make it clash with half of php USE
31 > flags e.g.)
32 > - causing pointless breakage/bailing out in current ebuilds for users that have
33 > not touched USE flags on their system at all
34
35 you're confusing "feature" with "bug" ;)
36 -mike
37 --
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list