From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo-UTF8
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 00:37:39
1 Hello,
2 I'm looking for some advice to make a Gentoo installation thats
3 completely UTF-8 compliant. This is a developer issue, as I'm also
4 looking for what regards will be required from our side to make UTF-8
5 the default for applications and userspace tools, as well as how to make
6 it work nicely in the console.
7
8 So far I think RedHat is the one distribution thats "ahead" in this
9 case, (I haven't had the chance to try SuSe) but they fail too (gtk+-1.2
10 for example will make fun things happen when it hits öæøØÆÅÄÖåä )
11
12 So, a roadmap of sorts, perhaps documentation and a list of "broken
13 apps" in regards to this would be a nice start, and then providing
14 buildfixes and patches to make things work as supposed....
17 yep, this goal is pretty big and will be a long time thing that should
18 probably be covered by USE="utf8" or other flag, but in this case I'm
19 looking for input from developers and users who have ideas on how to
20 make this happen and make it a smooth transition.
23 //Spider
27 begin .signature
28 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
30 end