From: tadpol@××××××.org
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE .ebuilds $DEBUG support
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 10:40:53
1 On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 10:25:05AM +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
2 > No particular objections. Debug should be disabled by default though, so I'm
3 > not sure about performance gains. And about --enable-final, the configure
4 > script says that creates smaller executables, which I assumed would come at
5 > the expense of performance (i.e. optimize for size). Anyone know more? Achim?
6
7 as a random guess, I'd say the final thing is just stripping the binaries. Not
8 actually changing any code. You can usually drop the size of an executable by
9 half or more by stripping it.
12 Michael Tilstra tadpol@××××××.org
13 1:Genius, of itself, is not a survival trait, otherwise we'd all be geniuses.
14 2:Genius alone is guaranteed to get you killed or worse.