From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: QA bikeshed: killing USE=dedicated in favor of uniform USE=client+server
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 21:34:10
1 On 08/20/2015 11:19 PM, Martin Vaeth wrote:
2 > Alexander Berntsen <bernalex@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> - -1. The way "dedicated" is used in games ebuilds is a very established
5 >> term that all gamers know and expect to behave in a specific way.
6 >> This will mess with our users.
7 >
8 > How do you know what the users know and expect?
9 > When installing a game, I was regularly surprised by the meaning
10 > of this USE-flag and had to read its description several times
11 > to be sure that I understand what is going on.
12 > Remember that not only permanent gamers install games occassionally.
16 It is used to set up a pure dedicated server, whatever that may mean for
17 a particular package (not just -client). You don't want to figure out
18 such details if you are setting this up on a real server. You want to
19 set it and be good.