From: Michael Weber <xmw@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Multilib approach(es) Re: [gentoo-dev] The gx86 multilib project -- masterplan
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 08:35:27
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 Hi,
5
6 What's the primary Idea behind multilib at all?
7 Isn't it just a workaround to keep prebuild software
8 from lazy/incapable/dead upstreams working (skype, ...)?
9
10 Is there any other real use besides bragging about processor
11 capabilities and compiling an stage1 boot loader?
12
13 Please don't get me wrong. I honor the whole effort done to bring this
14 magic into portage/..., but I see limits in the underlying file system.
15
16 The current solution suggested by FHS-2.3 [1] is to use
17 /lib<qual> and /usr/lib<qual>, which works for runtime emul- packages,
18 since software either installed to /opt/{${PN},bin} or had no
19 alternative in /bin or /usr/bin.
20
21 On 01/27/2013 02:40 PM, Thomas Sachau wrote:> 2. How do you handle
22 other abi-specific files like headers or binaries
23 > and cases like binaries with abi-specific content? Is it possible
24 > to preserve them for all requested abis or to preserve them for an
25 > non-default abi?
26
27 On 01/27/2013 05:08 PM, Pacho Ramos wrote:> Maybe installing headers
28 in other place would be interesting :/
29
30 This is getting wired now, when we get an x86, x86_64 and x86_32
31 (srsly?) implementation of cp(1).
32
33 Either we avoid collision python style with /bin/${PN}-<qual> and some
34 link magic, to select the "best" <qual> according to moon phases.
35
36 In the spirit of FHS, I thought about introducing /bin<qual> for some
37 time, but this continues with other dirs.
38 We would need /var/lib<qual> as well (/var/lib/munin/ has ABI specific
39 .rrd files),
40 /usr/include<qual>/ ... wait a minute.
41
42 What about separating these ABIs on top dir and keeping the respective
43 sub-trees clean, like /<qual>/{,usr/}{bin,lib}?
44
45 /<qual>/ could be realised by one of these systems
46 - - chroot (just like /<any-other-distro> chroots), needs root.
47 - - Gentoo/PREFIX style
48 - - modified runtime linker to pic correct LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
49
50 These /<qual>/ can be anything, like different ABIs,
51 different libc implementations, different keyword (stable, testing),
52 different Distros, - as long as it runs with the current kernel.
53 Well, thin-provisioning, qemu, *random virtualization*.
54
55 One ABI, maybe the one that can run/chroot all others sould be defined
56 as qual="", just like non-multilib systems.
57
58 Replication of /<qual>/{home,usr/portage} can be avoided by symlinks
59 or bind-mounts, or hardlinks.
60 (Srsly, /usr/portage/"ebuilds,profiles,metadata,caches" has to be in
61 /var/portage.)
62
63 It'd be a pretty good solution for restraining mentioned (malicious)
64 software, /skype/ for example.
65
66 Some roundups have to be made for exhausive $PATH, X11 .desktop files,
67 to enable starting other /<qual>/
68
69 Comments?
70