From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tags vs. categories (was: sci-libs/scipy -> dev-python/scip)
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 04:28:54
1 On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o> wrote:
2 > Alec Warner wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> Donnie Berkholz wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>>> I actually object to having crap in dev-python, because things should be
9 >>>> categorized functionally instead of by the language they're implemented
10 >>>> in. 90% of the time you don't care about the language. But category
11 >>>> moves are pretty much pointless, so I don't normally bring it up.
12 >>>
13 >>> Do you mean it is pointless because categories are pointless, or because
14 >>> it is not worth the trouble of doing the move? I assume we inherited
15 >>> the category idea from fbsd ports.
16 >>
17 >> It is pointless because we should probably have tags; not categories.
18 >> It is akin to the Section[1] header in a debian control file.
19 >>
20 >> [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-subsections
21 >
22 > Tags instead of categories . . . Now here's a very interesting idea, indeed.
23 > Has there ever been a proposal like this for Gentoo?
24
25 many times.
28 > I think we could improve on the Debian way of doing (sub)sections And I
29 > think that a good system of tags would do better than most distros which
30 > have a fairly limited set of arbitrary categories (like desktop, system,
31 > utils; who knows what the heck those last two mean, anyway?) But blog-style
32 > multiple tags might be very, very nice, if we could agree on a set of tags
33 > to use, without trapping ourselves into some of the weirder categorization
34 > used by other distros, like Slackware's arcane alphabetic system.
35 >
36 > Tags . . . I like the idea. I like it a lot. Thoughts? Exciting? Or is it an
37 > old issue, and I'm 5 years late to the party. :)
38
39 Probably more than 5...
44 -Alec
45 --