From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please port your packages to Python 3.8
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2020 16:38:19
1 On Wed, 2 Sep 2020 15:00:27 -0400
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 2020-09-02 14:08, Andreas Sturmlechner wrote:
5 > > On Wednesday, 2 September 2020 19:42:33 CEST Michael Orlitzky wrote:
6 > >> New USE flags generally change dependencies (as is the case here),
7 > >> so a new revision ensures that people are forced to install the
8 > >> ebuild that supports python-3.8. Otherwise, you will eventually
9 > >> find a lot of people stuck unable to upgrade because they have an
10 > >> ebuild installed that only supports <=python-3.7, and were never
11 > >> prompted to install the copy that supports python-3.8.
12 > >
13 > > Python target changes must be done with -U, also documented by the
14 > > accompanying repository news item, not really a problem.
17 > If you want to write the GLEP that obsoletes the PMS, I might even
18 > support it at this point. But until then, requiring --changed-use to
19 > have a functional system is not allowed. Any PMS-compliant package
20 > manager must be able to use ::gentoo, including one that does not
21 > implement portage-only heuristics.
24 ?
25
26 if some upgrade wants a package with unmatched deps (e.g. not installed
27 at all or py38 usedep not satisfied), $PM will surely try to satisfy
28 it by installing an ebuild. I don't think PMS specifies this, nor should
29 it.