From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 13:40:00
1 On Thursday 18 May 2006 14:14, Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > On Thu, 18 May 2006 12:18:41 +0200
3 >
4 > Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
5 > > If you really really need to have a profile, it might be discussable
6 > > to have no-portage profiles, that do not include portage or python in
7 > > system. These however must still be portage compatible, and
8 > > independent of a package manager.
9 >
10 > In the arch-specific subprofile case, we'd likely be dropping any
11 > features that would cause Portage to choke, and simply changing the
12 > system set and virtuals around.
13
14 I know you would do that. My problem is not with how it is done. But what
15 is done. The problem is not about portage choking. The problem is that at
16 this point there is no reason to make paludis specific changes to the
17 tree.
18
19 Making package manager specific changes to the tree/profiles is even more
20 a dead end. This would mean that package managers are bound to a profile
21 (making it impossible to use the package manager properly). It would also
22 mean that every package manager would have its own profiles. A needless
23 duplication that gets you nowhere.
24
25 And these are only the technical points.
26
27 Paul
30 Paul de Vrieze
31 Gentoo Developer