From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: location of portage tree
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 00:42:11
1 Marc Schiffbauer wrote:
2 > * Aaron W. Swenson schrieb am 27.03.12 um 21:59 Uhr:
4 >> Hash: SHA256
5 >>
6 >> On 03/27/2012 03:47 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
7 >>> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 12:40 PM, William Hubbs
8
9 >> /var/cache/{ebuilds,distfiles,eclasses,profiles}
10 >>
11 >> Or we can just call it Portage.
12 >>
13 >> We call it the "Portage tree", just like we call it gentoo-x86 but
14 >> that isn't what it only contains, in several places, both in official
15 >> docs and unofficial docs, tweets, pins, notes, stickies....
16 >>
17 >> /var/cache/portage is my vote.
18 >
19 > +1
20 >
21 > I like the idea of one directory because I wthink lots of people do
22 > have that stuff in a dedicated filesystem which today is mounted on
23 > /usr/portage. It would only have to be mounted to /var/cache/portage
24 > and this people were done with "migration".
25 >
26 > Having several directories will make it much harder to make "the
27 > portage stuff" be in its own fs. (be it several fs or symlinks ...)
28 >
29 > -Marc
32 As a lowly user, I would like it on /var but could careless about the
33 directory though the above would work fine. Reason, I have /var on its
34 own partition already. I also have /usr/portage on its own too. Since
35 the /usr/portage has lots of ever changing files and CAN get fragmented
36 a lot, this solves a lot of issues since a lot of things in /var are in
37 the same boat. A user could use a file system that is better at this
38 sort of thing and have only one partition to handle it all.
39
40 Back to my hole. Twice now.
41
42 Dale
43
47 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
48 how you interpreted my words!
49
50 Miss the compile output? Hint:
51 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"